Friday, August 24, 2012

U.S. Life

"This land is your land, this land is my land,/ From California, to the New York Island. / From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters, / This land was made for you and me. // As I went walking that ribbon of highway..."

Ok, you should get the point by now. That is a patriotic song here in the United States. This is a big country and there are highways from coast to coast. But sidewalks is another story, especially in the smaller towns. The downtown area usually has them, but the rest of the city/town is road. If you're lucky there is a shoulder.

The point is, we have to drive everwhere. When I was in Spain I walked everywhere. When I first got there I walked 3 miles to church and then another three to get back to the appartment. I had to walk once or twice per week a half-mile to the grocery story and a half-mile back. I had to walk about a mile to and from the bus station each day. So I got a lot more exercise. Between eating a lot less and walking a lot more I ended up losing between 15-20 pounds while I was in Spain. I had gained it back in less than a month after getting back to the United States and adding some extra weight on top.

I had to make the decision the other day to put myself on a light diet before the doctor makes me go on a strict diet. So we will see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments about the topic or post!!! :)