Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Starving

In high school the BMI testing said I was at risk of being overweight. Now, I probably am. Too much food and not enough exercise. I have that luxury and I remember it every day at lunch.

I was going to write a long informative blog about hunger. But after this has set in my drafts folder for three weeks I have decided to make it a short, thoughtful entry. There are many people around the world who don’t have enough food to eat, enough water to drink, enough money to survive.

In recent news articles and blogs I read where parents in Africa are having to leave their children behind to die because there is not enough food. Another article talked about how at many refugee camps the food was taken back from the refugees after the journalists took photos. Much of the foreign relief aid was ending up on the market. These people don’t have enough food. Another article even more recently talked about hunger in the United States and how many children were going hungry. One child stated that the hardest time was when his mom wouldn’t eat so that he could.

Every morning on my way to work I have a package of poptarts and a soda. Then later in the afternoon I sit at my desk and eat lunch: A yogurt, sandwich, chips, crackers, cookies and drink. It is a little awkward because it reminds me of how lucky I am. I am interning at an organization whose mission is to end world hunger and poverty. At lunch I am eating more than some families get to eat in a week.

Keywords: Starving, World, Hunger, Relief, Aid, Death, Food, Nutrition

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments about the topic or post!!! :)