Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Walking in Venice



The dark, wet and narrow streets looked like a scene straight from a movie. All that was needed was a man in a hat or something. Luckily no such person appeared in the three hours it took to find the hotel. I felt like a lab rat, one of those who has to search for a piece of cheese at the end of a maze. The hotel was the cheese and I was the rat.

It was less than a mile from the train station to the hotel, but I have no clue how far we walked. It is impossible to walk a straight line because of buildings most of the time. But in addition to streets coming to an end at a building, we often ran into a canal without a bridge. If we didn't pay attention we would have been swimming.

We didn't have a city map to help, just the name of the hotel and my GPS which was not getting a good signal in the narrow streets. And finding a taxi was not an option because we hadn't seen a car since arriving. With all the water it was apparent there would be no cars, only pedestrians and boats.

It was a nice experience. Although the streets were dark and winding I never felt any kind of threat. I felt safe. I was just annoyed at having to carry my bag so far not knowing where I was going. We finally arrived at the hotel around 12:30 a.m.

2 comments:

  1. I recently read an article on how Venice is sinking much more rapidly than scientists first thought. I also read that it smells terrible, any truth to that? I'm glad you got to see it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw some info about it sinking as well. A few streets smelled really bad but in general it wasn't as bad as Huelva.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments about the topic or post!!! :)