Thursday, March 1, 2012

Salamanca

I didn't know what to expect when I arrived to Salamanca late Friday night. With the university I half expected there to be a lot of people in the streets partying. But I was surprised. That might have been because the bus station and my hostal were not exactly in the down town part which is where everything including the university is located.

The original plan was to get there at 8 p.m. and check in to my hostal before walking around the city at night a little. Of course, arriving after midnight I decided just to go to bed and explore the city the next day. That meant buying a ticket for Sunday morning to Santiago. So the first thing I did on Saturday was buy my ticket and then I headed to el centro.

I am pretty sure I passed "Casa de las Conchas" or "House of seashells" about a hundred times. I walked in circles several times and found new sights each time. I was looking for a few things that I had researched beforehand on the internet. And after seeing all the signs "de Tormes" I had a personal search in addition to what I had found online. I was determined to find some kind of reference to Lazarillo de Tormes, a book that we had to read in one of my university Spanish classes. Sure enough I found him and one of his masters near the Roman Bridge on the Rio Tormes.

I never found the frog on the skull in one of the plazas. But that was because I never found the plaza. I stayed busy there in the city until about 7 p.m. at which time I went to the bus station to take shelter until my bus came. I didn't want to spent the night in the bars. That was a mistake. At least three people approached me begging, and two of them I am pretty sure were looking to rob anyone they could. One guy touched my arm, "Thats a nice watch..." I had to get up and walk away twice just to find people and get away from them. I eventually said if one more person attempted I was going to lock myself in the bathroom for the next hour and a half until my bus was scheduled to arrive. Luckily that didn't happen.

The bus arrived about half an hour late and we arrived to Santiago an hour late which didn't bother me. It meant I didn't have to wait around in another bus station.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments about the topic or post!!! :)