Friday, November 18, 2011

The Art of Learning a Language

During all of my time in secondary school I questioned, "When will I ever need to sit down and diagram a sentence?" I wanted to know why on earth I would need to label a verb or adverb. Then I found out how helpful it would have been to pay more attention and retain that knowledge when I studied Spanish.

I studied Spanish for three years in high school. My senior year of high school and freshman year of college I had no Spanish. I picked it back up in my sophomore year and then finally in my senior year declared it as a second major. Remembering how to diagram a sentence would be very helpful.

Now I am in Spain. I had my first private class on Thursday evening. It went well with only a few problems. One of those problems began with pronounciation. I went through the vowels and the sounds that each made. The problem was I couldn't really explain WHY they made the sounds they did. I learned in first grade when I was only six or seven years old. So now I have to research "phonics" again. Indeed I have a lot to relearn myself about my own language. I wonder if Spanish has similar problems?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments about the topic or post!!! :)