Monday, October 19, 2009

Scattered like College

This post is going to be a little scattered. I want to cover multiple things that are unrelated. But I guess that is a lot like life too. You never know what is going to happen or how.

The sun is out again so that is great! ASU does not have a bus system that serves just the campus or that runs regularly. There are busses that stop every hour, but they also go all over the city.

I am working hard on getting my portfolio ready. That is a lot of work, especially since I do not have much time to prepare it. I have until tomorrow. I need to put it on disk, and I also want to host it on my "Mysite" page. Tomorrow is the job fair and I want to drop off my resume and a disk. But then there is a ton of other homework too. I have to fight the library hours in order to try and get everything done- I don't have a scanner in my dorm room.

On Tuesday nights I go to a bible study. I started going the second semester of my freshman year. It was formed by a group of friends and they went out witnessing to students on campus. One day one came up to me in the cafeteria and talked to me. They invited me to the group and I regularly attend now. We have not had any outreach projects yet this semester but we hope to soon. But for the past week we have been doing a 10% challenge. What that means is we are trying to give 10% of our week, or day to God for his time. We want that to be our best time, not just our leftover time. It has been going great.

The common theme over the past week for me has pretty much been how large God is. "God is bigger than
The air I breathe," one song's lyrics go. It is so true. He is so big my mind cannot even comprehend how big he is. He is bigger than me, this state, this country...this universe. So often I try to compartmentalize my life and only bring him out when it is convenient. But God is bigger than that, he can't be stuffed in a little box. Why am I trying? He should overcome in all parts of my life: school, work, free-time... Everything.

Also it stood out just how young the apostles were and the boldness. In Acts it describes Peter and another in front of the Sanhedrin. It describes them as being uneducated. They learned as they went with Christ, and look at what they did. Then Stephen gave a long spill, knowing there would be consequences, to the Sanhedrin. It resulted in his stoning, as he knew it likely would, yet he still spoke boldly and proclaimed the truth.

This weekend I was given the awesome opportunity to help my friends who are youth ministers at a local Methodist Church, along with other volunteers, do 30 hour famine with the youth. It was an amazing experience. I can't speak for what others were feeling, but from what I observed it was a great experience for everyone. We kicked it off by eating breakfast early Saturday morning. Then no more food. We participated in three main events on Saturday: Can collection for the Salvation Army in Jonesboro, a car smash to raise money for WorldVision, and "Bigger and Better" where we traded a quarter for an item then went to another home and tried to trade whatever we got for something bigger and better. That item would then be sold and the money would go to WorldVision as well. Saturday night during Worship some of the kids were in a bad mood, but a few hours later things looked better.

Sunday morning some of the kids had forgotten about being hungry until the leader asked if they were or not. The youth led worship and shared about the experience. At 11 everyone held signs to help raise awareness, and later came back to the church for another worship service and to break the fast with communion.

For me, I can honestly say that it was ALL God. After 13 hours without food I usually feel like throwing up. I never got that feeling this weekend. I did not really get hungry until Sunday morning, but even that subsided. God gave me strength to do the activities and everything without hunger ever being an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments about the topic or post!!! :)