Thursday, June 3, 2010

Current Events

Well, there are not a lot of current events in my college student life other than preparing for DC. But there are some major national and global concerns arising. There is the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, rising tensions between North and South Korea and the attacks on a relief convoy in Israel.

First off, why is a British Company drilling way over here around the United States? I heard an analogy on the national news one night where the reporter said, "It appears BP is losing credibility faster than they are losing oil." Other articles report how extra help was brought in for the president's visit but when he left, so did they. People are getting sick from cleaning it up, not to mention all the ecosystems being damaged and destroyed. There are worries now that it could reach areas of Florida, and maybe even the Eastern coast. Then there is the threat of hurricanes later in the season. I wonder how this one is going to turn out.

It isn't like there were not enough tensions with North Korea with their nuclear testing, then comes the accusation of sinking a South Korean ship. True or not, I don't know. What I have heard is that if there is a war Japan and maybe another country would support South Korea. An article on MinnPost says that China is leaning toward the South Korean claim on the cause for the sinking. They do not want conflict to break out. Lets hope it doesn't.

More recently in the news, Israel attacked a relief group trying to bring aid into the country. What makes me nervous about this is what our government will do. Will we remain allies with Israel? I don't want to see our countries be enemies.

As for me, it is only a day and a half more until I leave for DC. I am getting very nervous about the schedule. But I look forward to not being bored at home. I look forward mostly to August when I get to go back to ASU.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments about the topic or post!!! :)