Saturday, June 26, 2010

Lessons Learned


College is all about learning, right? Life is all about learning. Life in D.C. has been very educational. I think I learn something new every day, whether it is useful or not. Even when I am not at my internship I learn something new.

Today I went for a bike ride. I went down 34th street to a part of the Rock Creek trail system. I rode to some place where the trail ended because of construction. I found my way onto the other trails leading to the National Mall. I rode around the tidal basin. I rode past the navy yard (and learned there was a Titanic Memorial in D.C.). I rode past the capitol building. I rode to Union Station where I stopped for lunch. I learned it is a bad idea to do that. Lunch with a long ride ahead of you is a bad idea.

I left Union Station and decided it was time to head back to Georgetown. I learned from the police, "We don't stop for lights here." I rode 19 blocks to Dupont Circle. I sat down there for a rest and learned it is a bad idea to drink a lot of water and sit on a bench in the sun when there are still a few miles to go. I finally got back to my room after a rough ride from Dupont. I learned it was almost 16 miles that I biked today when I checked my GPS.

It was a lot of fun and it is something that most people that visit D.C. probably do not get to do. I got to see a lot of D.C. on the surface without riding a bus or taxi. I did not once have to wait on a bus or a train to get anywhere. I saw buildings that I had never seen before that were interesting. It was nice to see a lot of other people out on bikes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments about the topic or post!!! :)