Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Overachieve?

I've been called an over achiever on more than one occasion, but I think I may be living up to that this summer. School is out. No classes until June. No homework. Yet I am still studying. I started a little more than two weeks ago, in effort to not only keep up with what I already know, but also learn more. Spanish. If you don't use a foreign language you forget it. And you forget it fast.

I took three years of Spanish in high school. My senior year I stopped taking the courses. I did not take another course in Spanish until my 4th semester of college. I started back at ground level. Last summer I took a course in Spanish online. This year I am interning in DC for the summer and will not have time to take a Spanish class online. I can only hope to use some Spanish while there.

Instead I have been keeping a notebook. Each day I write down an account of events in Spanish. Then I look up some song lyrics and translate them from English to Spanish, looking up words I do not know, underlining them and writing them on a vocabulary list. On the seventh day of each week I combine the vocabulary list and try to memorize the lists. This is the third week and I am still doing it. Hopefully it helps me remember what I already know, and if I am real lucky, maybe learn something in the process.

I go to Washington, D.C. a week from this Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments about the topic or post!!! :)