Monday, October 3, 2011

Besitos

As I have said several times now, studying a culture and living in it are two very different things. In the United States a handshake suffices when meeting anyone, male or female, friend or acquaintance. In Spain greetings are just a little different.

Guys greet pretty much the same with a handshake of some kind. But two girls or a guy and a girl greet with a kiss on each cheek. It is something I knew they did but I have to say I am still learning. I more often than not forget this little cultural greeting and think I may have offended some people.

It isn't just the well known friends, its on the first greeting. Today was the first day going to the school where I will work. Of course, I forgot it and had to be told twice. The other assistant even said she didn't know whether we, both as Americans, were supposed to greet that way.

Poco a poco.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments about the topic or post!!! :)